Being a Writer is…

InsecureWritersSupportGroup

It’s that time of the month again, first Wednesday, which means, it’s Insecure Writer’s Support Group:

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

This is going to be a short post today. I’m still applying the edits I received from my editor. This is what it looks like: Word document from my editor on the left, and my Scrivener project on the right (thank goodness for a wide screen).

edits2

It’s a slow process, and a very hard one where I’m continuously forced to face my shortcomings.

But it’s also the way I’m learning to get better, word by word and line by line. I’ve learned how bad I am at action beats (‘smile’ and ‘nod’ are my enemies), how much telling I have instead of showing, and how much more work this story really needs.

And the greatest lesson I’ve taken from this process is that, for me, being a writer is about perseverance.

Perseverance

Insecure Writer #213

What is being a writer to you?

• Christina MitchellAugust 6, 2014 - 8:22 AM

I am so bad at action beats. My characters smile, nod, roll their eyes and raise their eyebrows with RECKLESS ABANDON. I envision them all as being extremely twitchy πŸ™‚

They also sigh a lot. Sigh.

To me being a writer is about letting go of perfection and embracing flaws and weaknesses. Every step I make toward that in my writing life improves my personal life.ReplyCancel

• LucindaAugust 6, 2014 - 8:25 AM

Christina, thanks for your comment. It made me smile and nod in agreement. πŸ˜‰ Embracing flaws is hard but a step in the right direction.ReplyCancel

• Michelle WallaceAugust 6, 2014 - 1:11 PM

I’ve discovered that you have to be in it for the long haul.
    It’s all about perseverance… and patience!ReplyCancel

• LucindaAugust 6, 2014 - 2:49 PM

Thanks for the visit, Michelle. And I agree, lots and lots of patience.ReplyCancel

• Jay NoelAugust 6, 2014 - 1:30 PM

Being a writer is being just crazy enough to do it, without being “clinically” insane.ReplyCancel

• LucindaAugust 6, 2014 - 2:49 PM

It’s a thin line sometimes. πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the visit!ReplyCancel

• J.L. Campbell (@JL_Campbell)August 6, 2014 - 4:36 PM

We all go through phases where we learn the mannerisms and phrases that make our writing life difficult. The good thing is, once we find the weaknesses, we continue to grow and become better writers.ReplyCancel

• LucindaAugust 6, 2014 - 7:22 PM

Thank you for the visit, Joy. That’s my hope, that I’ll grow from this.ReplyCancel

• AnneAugust 6, 2014 - 5:22 PM

I love that picture and that quote. Also, I completely understand about the “nods” and the “smiles.” “Look” and its many variants apparently also plague me. Happy writing!ReplyCancel

• LucindaAugust 6, 2014 - 7:23 PM

I’m determined to eradicate all unnecessary smiling and nodding. Thanks for stopping by, Anne.ReplyCancel

• emaginetteAugust 6, 2014 - 7:22 PM

It`s tough incorporating other opinions into your work. We all face it if we are on the road to success. Try not to let it get to you and stand your ground over the important issues. Editors expect it. πŸ™‚

Anna from Shout with EmaginetteReplyCancel

• LucindaAugust 6, 2014 - 7:33 PM

Thanks for the visit, Anna. My editor did a tremendous job and I am indeed learning a lot.ReplyCancel

• Donna K. WeaverAugust 6, 2014 - 7:47 PM

Yeah. Perseverance. And yay for wide screens!ReplyCancel

• Patricia LynneAugust 6, 2014 - 7:49 PM

Editing can be tough to swallow, but it can only make your story better. Good luck with your story.ReplyCancel

• LucindaAugust 6, 2014 - 8:13 PM

Yes, absolutely, Patricia. It will be better when I’d done.ReplyCancel

• Jen ChandlerAugust 9, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Wonderful to meet you! Thanks for stopping by my IWSG post the other day! Yes, it does take perseverance…LOTS of it!! I finish a story and then I chisel the life out of it! Unfortunately, that’s usually where I leave it. I have one story right now that is in the final throes of second edits. It is obvious it needs a lot more work (ahem *edits*) before it’s ready to be sent to some readers. I’m learning it’s a necessary process. Best of luck to you! ~ JenReplyCancel

• LucindaAugust 9, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for returning the visit, Jen! I’m beginning to think the editing process is like the refiner’s fire. πŸ˜‰ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

Comments links could be nofollow free.

P o l i c i e s